Arnold N. (Arnie) Carpenter


Staff Sergeant Arnold Carpenter and Homer Cooke of Headquarters Company, Fifth Army Corps, have arrived safely in Northern Ireland, according to cables received yesterday by their respective wives here.

Both had been transferred in January from the same National Guard unit at Camp Livingston to the Headquarters Company, Fifth Army Corps at Camp Beauregard.


Freeman Von Schrader, ardent short wave fan, was listening to his radio on Sunday morning at 10 o'clock when the British Broadcasting Company sent their program Stars and Stripes over Britain over the ether waves. This program is a weekly Sunday feature, in which Ben Lyons and his wife, Bebe Daniels, former movie stars, interview American soldiers over the air. 

In the Sunday broadcast were two Eau Claire men, Sergeant Homer Cooke, son of Mr. and Mrs. Homer Cooke of Starr Avenue, and Sergeant Arnold Carpenter, son of Mr. and Mrs. Alfred Carpenter of Paper Mill Village. Both young men are well-known here as former football stars at the Eau Claire State Teachers College.

Sergeant Cooke left Eau Claire with the National Guard in 1940, and Sergeant Carpenter enlisted in February 1941, after completing his sophomore year at the college.

They met in Trenton, NJ, and have been together ever since.

At the close of the broadcast, it was announced that the program would be repeated in the evening at 6:30 over the Mutual Broadcasting System, so Mr. Von Schrader immediately attempted to contact the families of these men. He succeeded in reaching Mr. and Mrs. Cooke who, with the soldier's wife, went to the home of Mr. and Mrs. Von Schrader that evening to hear the broadcast over short wave. The Carpenter family was also notified of the broadcast during the day and "listened in" at their home. With them was Mrs. Carpenter, who is now a teacher at Colfax, WI.

It was an exciting moment for these relatives to hear the voices of their own soldiers broadcast from across the sea. Both young men have been overseas for almost a year and theirs was one of the first contingents of soldiers landed in Ireland. They have been in England for the past three or four months. Both are in training for commando service, in which their American football training will probably prove of great value. Both said they were in fine shape, that they liked the English soldiers, and enjoyed the commando training very much.

A cheering note in their comments occurred when they ordered their families to set an extra place at the table for Christmas dinner table, saying they would be home to join them.

Sergeant Carpenter and Dorothy Bullis, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Verne Bullis of Route 1, were married at Camp Livingston, LA on October 26, 1941 and were later transferred to Trenton, NJ. Sergeant Cooke and Jeannette Olson, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Helmer Olson of Marston Avenue, were married at Trenton, NJ. As many of the men who broadcast on Sunday were stationed at Trenton, the wives of these soldiers knew all who spoke over the air in this broadcast. Sergeant and Mrs. Cooke are the parents of a daughter, Patricia Gail, five weeks old.

Both families greatly appreciated the fact that they were told of the broadcast, so they might have the opportunity of listening in, as they had not known that the men were to appear over the air and would have missed hearing them but for this considerate gesture. This is a service we all owe to the parents and families of our boys, who are just as anxious to contact their families as the families are to hear from them.

What a happy day it will be when that extra place can be set at the table—it will truly be like a Christmas feast, no matter what time of the year it may come.

                                                                     * * * * * *
Do you remember an old saying out of the days of the last war— "Go easy on the butter, kids, it's forty cents a pound"?—but we could still get it.

Eau Claire Men in England "Adopt" Girl War Orphan
Headquarters, European Theater of Operations: Staff Sergeant Homer R. Cooke of  415 Marston Avenue, Technical Sergeant Archie J. Kain of 1626 Woodland Avenue, and Staff Sergeant Arnold Carpenter, Route 4, all of Eau Claire, are three of 80 sergeants of the United States Army unit who have adopted Maureen Amelia F—, a 10-year-old English orphan.

The unit is undergoing intensive training under the command of  Lieutenant General Jacob L. Devers in the European Theater of Operations.

The men were on hand recently when a full day's party was staged for Maureen. From the time she arrived at the American post to find a huge sign, reading "Welcome, Maureen," until she left, loaded down with gifts, the sergeants did everything possible to give the little girl the time of her life.

The mess sergeant prepared a meal which included steak, ice cream, and a huge cake, inscribed with her name. The soldiers also subscribed to a fund to buy Maureen a complete new outfit--shoes, dress, hat, dressing gown, underwear, and a silver identity chain.

Maureen was made honorary president of the sergeants' club and was taken for a ride in a jeep to see her first baseball game.

Staff Sergeant Arnold Carpenter, Air Corps, will spend a furlough here, visiting his wife, Mrs. Dorothy Carpenter, and relatives, after reporting to Fort Sheridan, IL.

He has served in the European Theater of Operations for 33 months. Mrs. Carpenter lives at Route 4.

Staff Sergeant Arnold N. Carpenter, 25, of Eau Claire, has arrived at Army Air Forces Redistribution Station No. 2 in Miami Beach for reassignment processing, after completing a tour of duty outside the continental United States.

Sergeant Carpenter was overseas 32 months in the European Theater of Operations. He is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Alfred Carpenter, Route 1, Eau Claire, where his wife, Dorothy, also resides.

Contributed by Dottie Carpenter, Eau Claire

Maneuvers at Camp Grant, Wisconsin

Far Right: Homer Cooke and Arnie Carpenter

American Football in England

American Football in England

Monday, June 28, 1943    SPORTS     THE STARS AND STRIPES     SPORTS     Page 5
Blue Devil Back Pulls One Down
Although they were overwhelmed, 40-0, by the Crimson Tide eleven at Bristol, Saturday, the Blue Devils gave the crowd a good show. Here, Corporal John Urban, Devil right halfback from South Hackensack, NJ, is about to pull down a pass from Fullback Staff Sergeant Arnold Carpenter. Immediately after he took the pass, Urban was brought down by Private First Class Jay Wright, Tide quarterback (No. 5) of Shippensburg, PA.

Tide Swamps Devils, 40-0, for ETO Grid Crown
Losers Unable To Cope With Aerial Thrusts
Hopfer, Verbeck, Henry Pull Off 85-Yard Forward Lateral
by Joseph McBride, Stars and Stripes Staff Writer

BRISTOL, June 27. The Field Artillery's Crimson Tide left little to challenge its right to rule the European Theater of Operations gridiron yesterday when they struck through the air lanes to crush the Blue Devils, 40-0, before a crowd of 6,000 here in a twilight game at Eastville Stadium. It was the second time in a week that the Tide twisted the tails of their Army rivals and more than avenged a two-point setback against the Devils last November in Belfast.

After the game, proceeds of which went to the British Red Cross and St. John Fund, Major General Russell P. Hartle presented a trophy to Sergeant A. S. Verbeck, Crimson Tide Captain from Gilbert, MN.

The Tide was forced to wait until the second quarter to launch its attack, but once it was under way, the Devils could do little to check it. The European Theater of Operation champions' aerial attack produced two touchdowns in the second chapter, one in the third, and another in the fourth. The third period score came on an intercepted pass and, in the fourth, they tallied after a blocked kick. Private First Class Jim Wright of Shippensburg, PA place-kicked four out of six extra points.

Hoogenboom Goes 30 Yards
A 19-yard pass and lateral, with Sergeant Verbeck handling the ball last, brought the first score. Two minutes before the end of the first half, Corporal Al Bashnett of Tioga, WV, flipped a 35-yard toss to Corporal Jack Hoogenboom of Goshen, IN, who ran 30 more for the second touchdown.

Corporal Bob Hopfer, halfback from Buffalo, NY, started pitching again in the third quarter and combined with Verbeck and Private John Henry of Punxatawney, PA for an 85-yard forward lateral to send Henry away for 70 yards and another score.

Losers Make One First Down
The Blue Devils, who made only one first down to the Tide's nine and completed two of nine passes to 13 out of 24 for the champions, took to the air themselves in the third, but without much success. Rush Moore, Tide back from Curbinsville, PA, intercepted one of Staff Sergeant Arnie Carpenter's tosses and raced 41 yards for the fourth touchdown. He also scored in the fourth on a 22-yard pass from Bashnett after Sergeant L.C. Schultz, Tide tackle from Bellefonte, PA, blocked an enemy punt and ran eight yards for a six-pointer.

The line-ups

Crimson Tide---40
Fenton               LE
Fauls                  LT
Saxton               LG
Whalen                 C
Schultz              RG
Ralph Moore     RT
Hoogenboom     RE
Wright               QB
Verbeck            HB
Henry                HB
Hopfer               FB
Blue Devils---0
   St. Peter
Score by periods:
      Crimson Tide      0     13     13     14     40
      Blue Devils         0       0       0       0       0

Touchdowns—Verbeck, Hoogenboom, Henry, Rush Moore 2, Schultz
Points after touchdowns—Wright 4 (placements)
Officials—Captain Stanley Bach, referee; Captain Sol Radam, umpire; Gerald Fitzgerald, field judge; James Carnahan, head linesman.

Handwritten on article: "Sad, isn't it—We did beat them once, believe it or not." Arnie Carpenter

First Football

Eau Claire Soldier Scores for 'Hales'
Belfast, Ireland (UP) The "Yarvards" beat the "Hales," 9-7, in  a football game played Saturday before 10,000 persons, including the governor of Northern Ireland, the duke of Abercorn, and high-ranking American and British officers among American forces stationed here. Hale's score was made by Arnold Carpenter, Eau Claire, WI.

Holiday Memories: World War II
Relatives, just like ships, pass each other in night
By Jack Bullis Eau Claire

When a serviceman is in the service, he does a lot of thinking about home, family and friends. The holiday season is one of the times that seems to bring out those thoughts more than any other time. 

Christmas 1944 was one of those tunes for me.

I was in the Army Signal Corps and, after several months of preparation, our unit, the 3186 Signal Service Battalion, had been sent to the European Theater to establish communications of a more permanent type in Germany and eastern France.

We landed in Liverpool, England in the middle of December and established a headquarters in a vacant school complex just south of town. Most of  our time was spent getting better organized and accumulating our roads relay equipment. We were kept quite busy and there was a lot to do.

After a week or so, the unit was contacted and told to form security teams to help guard the warehouses down at the harbor. It seems that the English longshoremen were not as patriotic as some of their more affluent neighbors, and they were stealing supplies at an alarming rate.

The stevadores and longshoremen were dressed in long black coats and knew their way around the dock area. When the freighters pulled up alongside the wharves, their task was to unload the freight from the USA. They would send a crew into the holds of the freighter, and they were to load the pallets so the crane operators could lift them out of the holds and swing the pallet over to the dock.

The men there would unload the material and store it in the warehouses alongside the docks. It sounded simple enough, but there were several problems that we found a bit difficult to solve.

The men in the hold identified the kind of freight being unloaded and got the word to the rest of the crews. At a given signal, the pallet was lifted out of the hold and slowly lowered toward the dock. But as it always happened, the crane operator's foot slipped and the somewhat lop-sided load was dumped to the cement.

The crew came from everywhere. They surrounded the load, making a tight screen around it. When a lone soldier rushed up to the group telling them to get back, he wasn't very successful. When the men backed away, the pallet was completely empty.

How does a single soldier prevent this? We were not allowed to carry firearms but were finally allowed to carry wooden sticks, which were not effective.

I doubled up the number of men in my crews, and that helped some. But those men on the dock were too much for us, and they got away with a very large amount of our supplies.

On the 24th of December 1944, my platoon was assigned the task of patrolling and guarding the dockside in the Liverpool harbor. Several big freighters were tied up, and a couple were being unloaded.

This time, however, the scene was different. A large troop ship was tied at one end of the pier where we were working. Many men were at the rail of the ship, and the soldiers on the dock were shouting back and forth to the men on deck. "Where are you from?" and "Where are you going?" were the common questions.

Once in a while, one or the other would find a state or town they had in common. Most all the fellows had served their time and accumulated enough "points" to go home.

It was fun to hear the comments that only soldiers can make, and we were happy for them. They left during the night, and we returned to our barracks for the traditional turkey Christmas dinner.

This is not the end of the story. When I returned home to Eau Claire and got together with my family again, we did some reminiscing and recalled some of the times we had spent in the service. My brother-in-law, Arnie Carpenter, mentioned that he had come home early after serving in the Air Force as an armourer. He had been shipped home by boat and had been in Liverpool,  England on Christmas Eve 1944!

So near and yet so far. It would have been easy to have visited with him, if only I had known! We passed in the night!

Leader-Telegram Lifestyles, Saturday, December 23, 1995

(Click for larger photo)

Christmas Past 1945
Lights illuminate Grand Avenue at Christmastime 1945. The photo was taken by Warren Brunner, a high school student who worked at the Daily Leader from 1944 to 1946 because another photographer was drafted. Brunner now owns and operates a photography studio in Berea, KY.

Train delivers best Christmas present of all
By Dorothy Bullis Carpenter, Eau Claire 
A light snow was falling. The Northwestern Depot in Eau Claire was filled with wives, mothers, fathers, grandmothers, grandfathers, uncles, aunts, cousins and children. It was Christmas Eve, December 24,1941. 

Twelve days before, the United States had declared war after the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor. The 32nd, the Red Arrow Division, and the 34th Division had been stationed in Louisiana since October of 1940. Boys from all over northern Wisconsin and Minnesota were being trained throughout the nation. Most of them had not been home since they were inducted. The way home was the train through Eau Claire. 

Everyone was waiting for the "400." This train was a sleek green and yellow streamliner that was named because its overall schedule of slightly more than 400 miles in a little over 400 minutes. It operated between Chicago and Minneapolis-St. Paul. It set the pace throughout the nation for a new era of high-speed rail service. It was always on schedule. 

The depot was alive with excitement. The train was two hours late. The food counter was always busy. People were sitting on the steps, the floor, the doorways or anywhere they could find. The small children—sleeping, others running, crying and struggling to stay awake—were all as impatient as the grown-ups. 

The time passed slowly—12:30 pm, 1, 1:30. And finally we could hear it coming down the track, blowing its whistle. Everyone crowded to the platform to watch the arrival. Soldiers, sailors, Air Force, and Marines flooded the platform. There was crowding, pushing and shoving as everyone tried to find his loved one.

As the "400" pulled out of the station, about 10 minutes after arriving, we still searched, always fearing that "he" was not there. Maybe a canceled furlough, a shortage of funds, missed connections, or other last minute cancellations would keep him off the overcrowded train.

There were all kinds of exclamations. Happy greetings, hugging and kissing, and tears of joy. Then we found him: Corporal Arnold Carpenter, home for the holidays. As was the same with many of the others, the next three Christmases would be spent on foreign soil. 

Editor's Note
About 600 readers—a record—wrote entries for the Leader-Telegram's Holiday Memories Contest. While we don't have space to run each one, the Leader-Telegram thanks all who participated.  First-place winners' stories will run in Sunday's newspaper. First-place student winners earned $50 savings bonds. The first-place adult winner earned a year's subscription to the Leader-Telegram

Written by Harold (Diz) Kronenberg

"Arnie" played football for Eau Claire Senior High in early 1940s. After the war, he played briefly at the University of Madison.