James P. Welsh

Father of Sgt. Welsh to Get Silver Star Medal, Posthumous Award for Gallantry of Son
William W. Welsh, veteran of World War I, will receive the Silver Star Medal Award for gallantry in action on behalf of his son, Sergeant James Welsh, slain in New Guinea, in appropriate ceremonies at the Welsh residence, 915 Barland Street, at 2:30 pm tomorrow.

The posthumous award, authorized by General Order No. 9, issued by General MacArthur in Australia, will be made by Captain James Ackley. The Silver Star Medal is awarded Sergeant Welsh for "gallantry in action near Buna, New Guinea, November 21, 1942," the citation relates. Brief ceremonies have been planned. 

Bert Smith, 603 Folsom Street, father of Sergeant Herbert Smith, killed in action the same day near Buna, was made Memorial Day here. 

Both soldiers were members of Company B, 128th Infantry, Eau Claire's National Guard Infantry Unit. The organization left the city in October 1940 for training at a southern camp and were sent to the Southern Pacific area, shortly after the entrance of this country into the war. 

Sergeant Welsh, fatally wounded during an advance against Japanese positions near Buna, died in Sergeant Smith's arms. A short time later, Sergeant Smith was killed by enemy fire.

Two Eau Claire Sergeants, Killed Near Buna, Get Stars
ALLIED HEADQUARTERS IN AUSTRALIA, January 23 (AP)—General MacArthur awarded decorations posthumously today to four American enlisted men for gallantry in action in New Guinea.

Among those cited were Sergeant Herbert E. Smith, Infantryman, who was awarded a Silver Star, which will go to his father, Bert C. Smith of  630 Fulton Street, Eau Claire, WI and Sergeant James P. Welsh, also awarded a Silver Star, which will be sent to his father, William Welsh, 915 Barland Street, Eau Claire, WI.

Sergeant Smith's award was for gallantry in action near Buna on November 21. While leading his squad in an attack on enemy positions, Smith was covered with debris from a bomb explosion, the citation said. He dug his way out and courageously continued to lead the advance through heavy machine gun fire. Although wounded, he pushed forward until he was killed by an enemy sniper and machine gun fire.

Sergeant Welsh, also cited for gallantry near Buna on November 21, was leading his men in an attack on an enemy position and encouraged and directed them with marked effect, it was stated. Although wounded in the advance, he courageously continued to lead his men forward, un til he was wounded several more times and was unable to proceed further. He died of wounds received this action.

Silver Medal Given to Parents of Sgt. J. P. Welsh
Brief but impressive ceremonies marked the presentation of the Silver Star Medal to Mr. and Mrs. William F. Welsh, posthumously awarded their son, Sergeant James Patrick Welsh, at their home, 915 Barland Street, here, Sunday afternoon. Left to right are Mr. and Mrs. Welsh and Captain James Ackley, who made the presentation, after introduction by Bailey Ramsdell. 

The award, Captain Ackley said, is recognition by the government of the United States of the gallantry in action, which resulted in the young soldier's death near Buna, New Guinea, November 21, last. 

Several organizations were represented at the presentation, including the American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, Disabled American Veterans, the WACs, the State Guard, Spanish-American War Veterans, and the City Council. Several friends and relatives also attended the ceremony.

Hornet Survivor Spends Furlough with His Parents
Thomas L. Welsh, Aviation Radio Man Third Class, a survivor of the sinking of the aircraft carrier Hornet and veteran of a number of major battles in the South Pacific, who has been home on survivor's furlough with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. William W. Welsh, 915 Barland Street, leaves Sunday for San Diego to rejoin his outfit.

Young Welsh, who has seen plenty of action during his nine months in the South Pacific, but has little to say about it, is Aviation Radio Man, Third Class and a qualified aerial gunner with an air torpedo squadron. He enlisted in the Navy on December 1, 1941.

His squadron was not in the air, but onboard the carrier on October 26, last, when the Hornet was sunk. He was among the survivors who were transferred from the sinking vessel to a destroyer, he said. He was not in the water.

His brother, Sergeant James P. Welsh, was killed in action some weeks ago in the New Guinea fighting. He left Eau Claire with the National Guard Company in 1940.